Friday, December 28, 2012

"My pet is too expensive."


Being a new pet parent is not easy. While I knew this going into it, I definitely did not fully grasp just how not-easy it was. However, I wouldn't trade my puppy or cat for the world. Still, they can cost a lot. I cannot emphasize it enough, adopt adopt adopt adopt. I adopted my cat, but did not adopt my puppy - I bought my puppy off a farm.

Before I get to how to save money for the animal you already have, let me tell you some more about the benefits of actually adopting your animal, which can be a serious money saver in itself.


  1. By adopting you get: microchipping, spaying/neutering, possible declaw (with cat), all vaccines updated, and any medical treatment needed such as de-flea-ing (not entirely sure of the technical term but bear with me) completely done. You get this all for free with the adoption of your animal. At my local shelter the cats started at $45 - $90, dogs went for closer to $115. $90-$115 is cheaper than anywhere you will find a spaying/neutering.
  2. By adopting an animal through Petco, during their Adoption Weekend, you get coupons coupons coupons for toys and food, and: "Natural Balance® will be sponsoring Petco's National Adoption Weekend and plans to give all dog adopting pet parents a free 2.75 oz. roll of dog food and $3 off a 12.5 lb. bag of dry or cased dog food. Those who adopt a cat will receive a free can or pouch of cat food and $3 off any 10 lb. dry or cased cat food." Free food yet again! 
  3. If you adopt a dog, Pedigree will give you an entire bag of food for free. You read me right, my frugalites. Click here for more info. 
So yes my friends, it can actually be very easy to afford an animal. Click here to find an adoptable pet near you!

Anywho, back to those of us who already have furry friends.

Ways to save money with your little beloved:
  1. Look for a low cost vet in your area that partners with the state. You may not think you had one -  I know I thought I didn't. I was wrong. There is one less than a mile from the house. Because of this, I was able to get a microchip with lifetime registration and all of my puppy's vaccinations for $40. You read me right. $40. I was also able to get her spayed for $80. You're probably thinking "yeah, but they do the stitches kind". It's alright because I thought so too. Wrong. So wrong. They did the lasers. Yes, the lasers that a normal vet will charge upwards of $220 to get done. So yes, frugalites, they're definitely worth looking into.
  2. Petco PALS rewards. I cannot emphasize this enough. I get two free cans of food per month from Petco through this program (1 can of cat food, 1 can of dog food). It is completely free too. Plus, for every $100 you spend, you get $5 towards your next purchase. It's not much, but it helps.
  3. Petco grooming also offers your dogs first nail trim with them for free. It's been my experience that they won't mention this when they get it done, BUT if you mention it before you schedule, and once you get there, you should get their nail trim for free.
  4. Petco grooming also gives you a free double sided tooth brush for your pet when you get them groomed at their location.
  5. Use apps for your iPhone/Android/Windows phone, such as Shopkick, and you will never pay for a toy or food again. You're laughing but seriously it's so easy. By scanning items, I'm given points. I average about $15 to a Target Giftcard per month with Shopkick. This way, I do not pay for dog food or cat food. Voila. Or you can use iBotta, and get paid to buy dog treats and dog toys. Plus, you'll get a free $5 to your paypal account after your first purchase using the app, click here on your mobile phone to download the app.
Let me know how things work for you guys, or if you have any suggestions!

Yours frugally,
Alicia

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great post! I volunteer with an animal rescue and this makes my heart all warm and fuzzy! And it's so true!

    ReplyDelete