Thursday, December 27, 2012

"What do you mean 'eat seasonally'?"



The title of this post was said by my roommate to myself, in complete terror. You see, I am the one that cooks the food in the house. If I don't cook it, it's pizza rolls or ramen for her. So upon hearing that I wanted to eat seasonally, I imagine she thought I was threatening her food livelihood. Especially because she is one of the pickiest eaters I have ever encountered.

"No, but Alicia, what do you mean eat seasonally? Why?"

But hang on, my dear frugalites, and hear how it actually is very easy and a lot cheaper, and not so scary.

Haven't you ever wondered why, in December, a pound of strawberries can easily be $4; and yet, if you get them in July, they can easily be $2 per pound? It can even be cheaper at the local farmers market or CSA if you're into that! This is because the food is in season. (FUN FACT: It's also a lot better tasting in July.)

By eating seasonally you can severely cut down your food costs, and get more bang for your buck, which you all know I am all about! It is also healthier for you to eat seasonally, because by doing so, you're adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet that aren't heavily processed or canned.

Want to know what's in season for your state? Go ahead and click here!

Some foods for this winter season:

  • Broccoli
  • Garlic
  • Snap Peas
  • Collards
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce Mix
  • Potatoes
I don't know about you, but I would eat just about anything on that list. And if there's something you're a little bit afraid to try, why not try it while its at it's best flavor, and lowest cost?

Unsure of what to make? Here's some low-ingredient recipes you can use to eat seasonally!
Enjoy and let me know if you try anything!

Yours frugally,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment